Any social media veterans reading right now, I’ll be upfront: you might want to skip this post.
I decided to write up a little comparison cheat sheet for the major social news sites, because when I tell my non-Internet friends to check out Tip’d, they always ask, “So, you basically just copied Digg?” (At this point, I give them a look that could curdle milk.)
So if you’re not currently a member of the major social news sites, and are wondering which one to join, here’s a concise comparison of the most popular social media platforms:
- Digg: Digg is a social news site that’s mainly focused on technology; you’ll find Linux news and Apple fanboys who sometimes make comments that aren’t, ahem, too mature. If you’re age 14-21 and you love all things technology, this site is for you.
- Reddit: Reddit has more of a social/political focus, and a lot of submissions are of the ‘crazy news of the day’ variety. Reddit is generally recognized as having an older and possibly more liberal userbase than Digg — but you’ll still find your fair share of offensive comments here
- StumbleUpon: StumbleUpon isn’t exactly a ‘social news’ site, though it can be, depending on what channels you subscribe to. When you sign up, you can choose your interests, and you’ll get content served to you on those interests only (though, it won’t always be news, and it won’t always be new).
- Mixx: Mixx is a relative new-comer to the social news space, and a lot of ex-Digg members hang out here, although it covers a wider range of topics than does Digg. Mixx is still growing fast and has a lot of great features.
- Kirtsy: Kirtsy is a bit smaller than the above sites (yeah, so is Tip’d!), but as my mom says, good things come in small packages. This may be the only site on the list where women are the majority of users, rather than the minority.
- Tip’d: Last but not least is our own site Tip’d, which covers investing, financial, and economic news. Currently we’re a smaller (but fast-growing) community, and we pride ourselves on keeping discussion clean, friendly and intelligent. Yes I’m biased, but I think we have a great thing going: Sign up now, it only takes a moment!
Other social news sites you may want to check out include: Designfloat (design news), Ballhype (sports news), Tweako & Dzone (development news), Propeller (worldwide news) and Health Ranker (health news).
New to Tip'd? Join the social media site for financial news, ideas, and tips. It's free to join our community, and it only takes a minute. Click here to sign up!