As Andy alluded to in our previous post, we have made a few tweaks to our backend to help significantly decrease the amount of spam that gets posted at Tip’d. The biggest change that we’re pleased to announce is our new user sign-up process that now requires e-mail confirmation. We’ve already seen a sizable decrease in spam from new users, which has made our moderators’ jobs much easier.
In this same vein of decreasing spam and to keep Tip’d relevant and interesting to our community, we also thought it necessary to publish an explicit set of rules for all submissions to Tip’d. If you have any questions or concerns about these guidelines, or if you ever want to report spam on the site, please feel free to email our abuse department at abuse AT tipd DOT com.
- Submissions must be topically relevant. Tip’d is a financial and business website at its core. All subjects primarily should be business or financially related. When you submit content, you then choose a category. While we have “green” and “tech” categories, any such submission should still be primarily business or financial. For example, “5 Great Anti-Virus Applications” just doesn’t work. That’s tech, sure, but it’s not business or financial (unless you can tie that into the article).
- We love it when you submit news, ideas, and tips. But we’re not a classifieds service. Please submit relevant articles to the site. Submitting your “payday loans” or “business insurance” site’s landing page isn’t what we’re about.
- Tip’d is not a deals site. We’re happy you have found 50% off that new microwave, but this isn’t the place to promote it. There are dozens of deals sites out there, so feel free to venture there.
- Tip’d is also not a marketing site. Anything about “how to get more followers on Twitter” to “SEO” to “affiliate marketing” to “internet marketing tactics” just doesn’t work here. There is also a very strong Internet Marketing social news site. Pull up your favorite search engine and search for it. Submit there instead.
- We have a “real estate” category, but listing your home for sale in Australia or Austin, TX doesn’t fly here either. If the topic isn’t financial or business — and we mean for the community’s benefit — it just doesn’t work.
At the end of the day, Tip’d is a community, but you must play by the rules in order to be accepted. The moderators reserve the right to take action on the accounts and submissions that do not meet our submission criteria. We will also ban IPs of egregious and repeat offenders. Alternatively, we may contact you directly to send a warning.
We hope you enjoy our community. We’ve spent a long time building it and making it approachable. Please make yourself at home, pull up a seat, and join our family.
New to Tip'd? Join the social media site for financial news, ideas, and tips. It's free to join our community, and it only takes a minute. Click here to sign up!